LIST OF CHS LANDMARK PROPERTIES
As part of the town’s 200th anniversary in 1986, the Clinton Historical Society organized a Landmarks Designation Committee to identify buildings whose age, architecture, importance to Clinton’s history, and state of preservation made them historically significant. In the 1988 nominations, the committee targeted buildings in each of the town’s seven hamlets. Properties designated as landmarks by the Clinton Historical Society are eligible for protection under Chapter 250 of the Town of Clinton Zoning Law.
Since 1986, the buildings designated as Landmarks by the Clinton Historical Society are:
- Farmhouse, 173 Pumpkin Lane. Located east of the Taconic State Parkway on Pumpkin Lane.
- Masonic Hall, 1144 Centre Road, Schultzville, 1865. The Warren Lodge #32 is located on Centre Road in the hamlet of Schultzville. Theodore A. Schultz provided the land and funds to erect the building in his will. It is relocated and is now part of the Town of Clinton municipal complex at 1215 Centre Road.
- Creek Meeting House, 2433 Salt Point Turnpike, Clinton Corners, 1777, National Register. The former Quaker Meeting House is located in the northern portion of the hamlet of Clinton Corners. The land was purchased from Abel Peters and construction of the stone structure was begun in 1777, but it was not completed until 1782. The Upton Lake Grange became the owner in the 1930s. Presently the building is owned by the Clinton Historical Society.
- Pleasant Plains Presbyterian Church, built 1837. Located on the site of a former Dutch church and schoolhouse, the church is the central building in the hamlet. The present Greek Revival church with Doric columns was built in 1837 and enlarged in 1859.
- Friends Church, 2438 Salt Point Turnpike, 1828, National Register. Currently a private residence, this church has been restored.
- House at Hibernia Mills, 441 Hibernia Road, c. 1840. Located at the northeast corner of the bridge in the hamlet, the wood-frame house was built after the division of the mill property. The Hibernia Mills, started by David Arnold in the 1770s, contained homes and shops in addition to the mills. Most of the division into individual properties was the action of William Hazard in the 1830s.
- Traver House, 68 Fiddlers Bridge Road, Pleasant Plains, c. 1786. Located slightly north of Pleasant Plains on Fiddler’s Bridge Road, this wood-frame house was probably built by Peter Traver in 1786. Peter Traver had a large farm just to the north in 1754, and may have purchased this parcel to build a retirement home as he turned the farm over to his sons.
- Clapp House, 234 Hollow Road, Pleasant Plains, c. 1794. Probably built by John Clapp as a farmhouse in 1794, this wood-frame house is located at the southwest corner of the intersection, across from the Presbyterian Church. The property was at a four-corners intersection with the north end of Quaker Lane until Quaker Lane was changed to its present exit on Hollow Road about 1870.
- LeRoy House and Store, 27 Hollow Road, Frost Mills, c. 1840. Located at the northeast corner of Hollow Road and Creek Road, the wood-frame house was built by John LeRoy, mill owner, as a home with an attached store. The mill, started by the DeWitts in 1766, remained unchanged until the LeRoy family operation created more housing and expanded enterprise. The building was also the site of the Frost Mills and Pleasant Plains post office.
- Daniel Schultz House, 820 Fiddlers Bridge Road, Schultzville, c. 1854. The house is located on the southwest corner of the intersection at Schultzville. Built by Daniel Schultz, owner of the store, this wood frame building was the home of his third wife Louisa for many years. Schultzville, named for the Schultz family, was the site of mills, a store, and several homes, all for the Schultz family.
- Peters House, 2461 Salt Point Turnpike, Clinton Corners, 1792. Located in the northwest section of the hamlet, this brick house with wood frame addition was built by Abel Peters, an early merchant in Clinton Corners. He had a store and a hotel, in addition to mills on Schultzville Road. The property was completely divided and many homes were built in the hamlet with the coming of the railroad in 1870.
- Tillou House, 835 Hollow Road, Clinton Hollow, c. 1817. Located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Meadowbrook Lane and Hollow Road in the hamlet, this wood frame house was probably built by Carlisle Tillou around 1817. Originally part of the mill property, division of the land occurred in 1800. The “gingerbread” look of the house probably came later in the 1830s and 1840s through the handiwork of Russell Abby, carpenter, woodworker, and casket maker.
- Teller House, 68 Milan Hollow Road, Bulls Head, c. 1764. This stone house is located on Milan Hollow Road, just outside Bulls Head. It was built by John Teller, miller, and is one of the oldest houses in the Town of Clinton. The Teller family intermarried with the family of Stoutenburgh, and the Teller’s several hundred acres were part of the holdings of Jacobus Stoutenburgh of Hyde Park.
- Frederick Schultz House, 995 Pumpkin Lane, c. 1840. Located at the intersection of Old Bulls Head Road and Pumpkin Lane, this wood-frame house was built by Frederick Schultz. It served as a general store and home for the proprietor, in addition to his farming operation. The store was operated by Pedro Sweet and then his wife Ella, through 1916.
- Rickert House, 27 Shadblow Lane, 1868. This clapboard house was built by descendants of Palatine Germans who immigrated to Germantown in 1710. George Rubin Rickert was a prosperous farmer with many landholdings and an auctioneer dealing in cattle. He was a justice of the peace and was active in the church in Schultzville.
- Cookingham House, 191-195 East Meadowbrook Lane, 1864. This farmhouse with wide plank floors has many outbuildings, as well as slate and stone terraces.
- Swartwout House, 194 Old Bulls Head, c. 1740. Originally, this home was constructed of stone and added to as time and materials allowed. Owned by a consortium, including Charles Crooke, records of this home are among the oldest in Clinton.
- Lester House, 1561 Hollow Road, c. 1748. Built with beautiful architectural detail, this farmhouse was the center of a productive farm for many years.
- Windswept Farm, 140 Sunset Trail, 1823. Farmhouse listed on National Register in 1989. Very significant modifications after NRHP listing.
- Nathaniel Brown House, 207 Brown’s Pond Road, c. late 1700s. Post and beam construction identifies this home as early. The earliest record of land sale identifies Nathaniel Brown purchasing 100 acres in 1792. Records show that Nathaniel Brown served on the board of the Pleasant Plains school and as a highway overseer in the early 1800s. It may be that a mill existed on the creek in front of the house.
- Traver House, 140 Deer Ridge Drive, middle 1700s. Constructed by Palatine Germans of wood, stone, and mud found on the site, this old farmhouse has an original brick fireplace with a cast iron crane and bread oven. The farmhouse was originally on 140 acres, which the census shows produced dairy and meat products, as well as supporting families from the middle 1700s to the 1930s.
- Pleasant Plains Manse, 238 Hollow Road, 1863. This home was donated to the Pleasant Plains Presbyterian Church by the Van Vliet family for use as a parsonage and was lived in by ministers of the church for a hundred years. This home has significance as part of the hamlet and the historical context of the area.
- Webster Farm, Schultzville Road and Salt Point Turnpike, Clinton Corners, c. 1794. Large and beautifully maintained farmhouse with large barns on corner of Schultzville Road and Salt Point Turnpike has a prominent place in the Clinton Corners landscape. This home may have been a stop on the Underground Railroad during the Civil War.
- John Dewitt House, 18 Hollow Road, Frost Mills, c. 1772, National Register. Constructed by Captain Dewitt who participated in the Revolutionary War and was a signatory to the United States Constitution, this home has been part of the historic significance of Pleasant Plains, with its collection of houses and former places of business.
- Schultz House, 99 Old Bulls Head Road, c. 1790. This Georgian style house with fine architectural details is similar to one in Rhinebeck. The construction is post and beam with no ridgepole. The home is cited in references to New York State architecture.
- Dr. Barnes Home, 218 Hollow Road, Pleasant Plains, c. 1878. Located on Hollow Road next to the old Providence Cemetery, this wood frame house was the office and home of Dr. Edward Barnes, who practiced in Pleasant Plains until his retirement. He died in 1935 and is buried in the Pleasant Plains Cemetery.
- Schoolhouse and Home, 81 Old Bulls Head Road, c. 1787. This house, which may have been built by the Schultz family, was attached to the Bulls Head schoolhouse in 1992. The old house has an original fireplace with Dutch oven. The ceilings are low and floors constructed of wide pine planks.
- Schoolhouse, 2486 Salt Point Turnpike, Clinton Corners, c. 1850. This privately owned schoolhouse is in excellent condition and is leased to the United States Post Office.
- Simmons House, 13 Mountain View Road, 1772. This south-facing farmhouse with hand-hewn beams, original Dutch doors, and random-width floors was most likely of Palatine origin. There is an old stone shed west of the house.
- Primrose Hill Farm, 203 Fiddlers Bridge Road, c. 1854. This farmhouse was the second home of the Cookingham family, who have owned and farmed this land since land ownership records exist. The Dutch barns behind the house may date to 1800 and are in excellent condition.
- Clinton Alliance Church, 1190–1192 Centre Road Schultzville, 1865. The Clinton Alliance Church is shown on the 1867 map with its parsonage and cemetery. The church is clapboard with interesting decorative detail.
- Pleasant Plains Schoolhouse, 2 Fiddlers Bridge Road, 1852. Schoolhouse used for a hundred years by local children. Owned by the Pleasant Plains Presbyterian Church, was moved and attached to the church.
- Allen House, 38 Allen Road, c. 1800. This simple farmhouse with saltbox style has been a rural feature of Allen Road for more than two hundred years.
- The Willows, 2497–2499 Salt Point Turnpike. c. 1914, National Register. Benjamin Tousey built this early 20th century home in Arts and Crafts design. The finely crafted details make this home an outstanding example of the Craftsman style.
- Deyo Home, 1245 Hollow Road, late 1700s. South-facing farmhouse with outbuildings was the home of Dr. Amanda Deyo, peace activist, from 1868 to 1886.
- Cherry Cottage, 278 Clinton Hollow Road, 1820. Farmhouse with exposed beams is typical construction of the early 19th century.
- Farmhouse, 696 Centre Road, c. 1850. Despite later additions, original farmhouse remains intact and a detailed history has been documented.
- Cookingham House, 20 Fiddlers Bridge Road, early 1800s. Home north of the Pleasant Plains Church occupied by members of the Cookingham, Van Vliet, and Frost families, as well as Dr. Merritt.
- Tale of the Hawk Farm, 743 Fiddlers Bridge Road, c. 1825. Classic eyebrow colonial farmhouse with vintage outbuildings.
- Rusty Tractor Farm, 63 Willow Lane, c. 1840. Well-restored farmhouse with post and beam construction, may have originally been a barn later converted to living quarters.
- Farmhouse and Barns, 455 Pumpkin Lane, 1790. Farmhouse restored using the home’s original materials (wide-board floors, siding, etc.). Exposed hand-hewn beams, original 7-inch wide fieldstone cooking fireplace with crane.